- Astronomy Colloquium - "Mapping the Outer Milky Way with Optical Surveys: Is there a Giant Donut Around Our Galaxy?"
9/1/2015, 3:45 pm,
- Astrophysics, Gravitation and Cosmology Seminar: "Gauge and fermion preheating and the end of axion inflation"
9/2/2015, 12:00 pm,
- CSE Seminar - Mamdouh Mohamed / Discrete exterior calculus discretization of incompressible Navier-Stokes equations on simplicial meshes
9/2/2015, 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm,
National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) Room 1040
- Physics Colloquium: "Opening a New Chapter in Neutrino Physics"
9/2/2015, 4:00 pm,
- Astronomy Colloquium - "Secrets of the Dark Universe"
9/8/2015, 3:45 pm,
Star of the Week
10 CVN (10 Canum Venaticorum)
Solar type stars are for obvious reasons inherently fascinating. Those with known planets are even more so. Canes Venatici (the Hunting Dogs, is a fine example. While faint to the naked eye, 10 Canum Venaticorum is remarkably easy to find just barely south of a line between Cor Caroli and Chara. ...
New Astronomy Faculty
The Astronomy Department is pleased to welcome two new faculty members, Xin Liu and Yue Shen, for the Fall 2015 semester. Prof. Liu was recently a Hubble Fellow at UCLA. Prof. Shen was a Hubble Fellow at Carnegie Observatories. Please join us in welcoming Xin and Yue to the University of Illinois! ...
Newly Promoted Astronomy Faculty
The Astronomy Department congratulates Robert Brunner on his promotion to full professor, effective Fall 2015. Prof. Brunner's research program spans several different areas, including the application of data mining and machine learning to astronomy and data-intensive computing in cosmology. ...
Rogue supernovas likely flung into space by black hole slingshots
Rogue supernovas that explode all alone in deep space present an astronomical mystery. Where did they come from? How did they get there? The likely answer: a binary black hole slingshot, according to a new study by Ryan Foley, a professor of astronomy and physics at the University of Illinois. ...
NASA's Three-Billion-Mile Journey to Pluto Reaches Historic Encounter
NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft is at Pluto. After a decade-long journey through our solar system, New Horizons made its closest approach to Pluto Tuesday. ...