Joaquin Daniel Vieira
Assistant Professor of Astronomy
- Extragalactic surveys
- Galaxy Evolution
Professor Vieira is an observational cosmologist who works across the electromagnetic spectrum. His scientific interests include: galaxy evolution and structure formation at high redshift; the star formation history of the Universe; the epoch of reionization; the cosmic microwave background. He builds experiments, conducts cosmological surveys, and performs followup observations of distant galaxies. He works with data from the South Pole Telescope, Herschel, Hubble, Spitzer, and ALMA. He is currently helping to build future mm and sub-millimeter facilities and pondering the cosmic evolution of dust and ionized carbon.
- 2009 Ph.D. Physics, The University of Chicago
- 2005 M.S. Physics, The University of Chicago
- 2002 B.S. Astrophysics, The University of California, Los Angeles
- Hanson, D., S. Hoover, A. Crites, and et. al.. "Detection of B-Mode Polarization in the Cosmic Microwave Background with Data from the South Pole Telescope." Physical Review Letters 111.14 (2013): <http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2013PhRvL.111n1301H>.
- Riechers, Dominik A., C. M. Bradford, D. L. Clements, C. D. Dowell, I. Pérez-Fournon, R. J. Ivison, C. Bridge, A. Conley, Hai Fu, J. D. Vieira, and et. al.. "A dust-obscured massive maximum-starburst galaxy at a redshift of 6.34." Nature 496.7445 (2013): 329-333.
- Vieira, J. D., D. P. Marrone, and et. al.. "Dusty starburst galaxies in the early Universe as revealed by gravitational lensing." Nature 495.7441 (2013): 344-347.
- "The suppression of star formation by powerful active galactic nuclei." Nature, Volume 485, Issue 7397, pp. 213-216 (2012) 485.7397 (2012): 213-216.
- Carlstrom, J. E., and et. al.. "The 10 Meter South Pole Telescope." Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific 123.903 (2011): 568-581.
- Vieira, J. D., T. M. Crawford, and et. al.. "Extragalactic Millimeter-wave Sources in South Pole Telescope Survey Data: Source Counts, Catalog, and Statistics for an 87 Square-degree Field." The Astrophysical Journal 719.1 (2010): 763-783.
- Staniszewski, Z., and et. al.. "Galaxy Clusters Discovered with a Sunyaev-Zel'dovich Effect Survey." The Astrophysical Journal 701.1 (2009): 32-41.