Ways of Giving
The University of Illinois Foundation provides a variety of mechanisms for you to ensure the continued success and traditions of excellence that are the hallmarks of our department.
- Cash Gifts: Click here for information on making a gift online, via check, or over the phone.
- Gifts of Securities: Equities, bonds, mutual funds, and other financial instruments, may be donated to the Foundation. A popular benefit of such a gift beyond the charitable income tax deduction that accrues is the avoidance, in most cases, of capital gains tax on the appreciated value of the securities.
- Gifts of Property: Real estate, may be given with the same benefits as the gift of securities—no capital gains tax, plus deductibility at fair market value.
- Wills or Living Trusts: Bequest in a Will or Living Trust is the most common form of planned giving, which will benefit the department at some future date. Specialists at the Foundation will work with you to structure a bequest that meets your goals.
- Life Income Gifts: Life Income Gifts are charitable remainder trusts that provide a life income to the donor or designated beneficiaries while simultaneously benefitting the work of Astronomy now.
More information on donations to the University can be found at the University of Illinois Foundation, and at the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Office of Development.