The University of Illinois Observatory
The University of Illinois Observatory was constructed in 1896. It stands on South Matthews Avenue in Urbana, Champaign County, Illinois. The observatory was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 6, 1986 and on December 20, 1989, the U.S. Department of Interior designated the observatory a National Historic Landmark. Though none of the astronomical instruments are being used for professional research today, the observatory still contains a 12" Brashear refractor. The observatory played a key role in the development of astronomy as it was home to a key innovation in the area of astronomical photometry. The facility has been directed by such noted scientists as Joel Stebbins and Robert H. Baker.
Erected in 1896 at the behest of the Illinois General Assembly, the University of Illinois Observatory became important in the development of astronomy due, in large part, to pioneering research by Stebbins, from 1907 to 1922. Joel Stebbins left the University of Illinois in 1922 but left behind a legacy of discovery that helped alter the face of modern astronomy. The building, itself, is in a traditional observatory design, Colonial Revival style, following a T-plan. The dome rises 35 feet (11 m) in the air. The building served the University of Illinois astronomy department from its opening until 1979, when the department moved into a new, larger building to house its growing staff.
- Virtual Tour of the Campus Observatory
- History of the Campus Observatory
- Observatory Open Houses
- Friends of the University of Illinois Observatory
- University of Illinois Astronomical Observatory, NHL Database, National Historic Landmarks Program. Retrieved April 28, 2007.
- University of Illinois Observatory Building -- A Virtual Tour, University of Illinois Astronomy Department, October 2, 2000, University of Illinois. Retrieved April 28, 2007
- University of Illinois Observatory, Astronomy and Astrophysics, November 5, 2001, Online Books, National Park Service. Retrieved April 28, 2007
- Nash, David. History of the University of Illinois Observatory and 12" Refractor, University of Illinois Astronomy Department, January 20, 1997 University of Illinois. Retrieved April 28, 2007
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License